Friday 22nd July 2016. Cavanagh Pharmacy Building, University College Cork.
9.55 Opening Address – David Butler
10.00 Session 1
- Dr Declan Jordan (University College Cork) – Power and place – the capital city effect and performance in European leagues from 1992 to 2015.
- Fionn Fitzgerald (IT Tralee) – How important are physiological, anthropometric and psychological measures for talent identification in Gaelic football?
- Prof Robert Simmons (University of Lancaster) – Special Ones? The Effect of Head Coaches on Football Team Performance.
11.45 Session 2
- Prof Paul Downward (Loughborough University) -‘No man is an island entire of itself.’ The hidden effect of peers on sport and physical activity.
- Pat Massey (Compecon) – Measuring Efficiency of the Republic of Ireland International Football Team: A Production Frontier Approach
- Dr John Considine (University College Cork) – Radical Competition Structure Change and Competitive Balance.
14.15 Keynote Address
- Prof Rodney Fort (University of Michigan) – ‘The Future of Sports Economics’
15.15 Round-table Discussion
- Coaching for Participation or Elite Development – A Challenge for Instructors? Discussants: Dr Elish Kelly (ESRI), Greg Yelverton (FAI), Dr John Considine (UCC) & Prof Paul Downward (Loughborough).
16.00 Closing Address – Dr Robbie Butler
This workshop is free to attend and open to the public. The event is funded by the Irish Research Council Government of Ireland “New Foundations” Scheme. Register for the workshop here.